May – November 1979

[my notes: I’m going to accelerate this for anyone who has been following what happened to Theresa from disappearance to body-found. These are how the months played out 28 years ago. This is my father’s experience, in so far as I’ve pieced it together. It broke apart, falling into pieces and slowly faded from memory]:

The summer passes and there is little news from Eastern Townships about the affair of Theresa Allore. In late August Mr. Allore telephones Corporal Gaudreault, and is again given to Constable Lessard. Mr. Allore requests a copy of the autopsy report. He also tells Constable Lessard that he and his wife will be visiting Lennoxville in early November. At that time they would like to be taken to the site where their daughter’s body was found. Constable Lessard assures Mr. Allore that Corporal Gaudreault will call him the following morning. Gaudreault never calls.

On September 5th, Mr. Allore calls Robert Buellac to inform him that he will be visiting Montreal in late October. At that time he would like to meet with the private detective so that Beullac may return the box of items and photos belonging to Theresa that were lent to him.

On September 6th, Corporal Gaudreault returns Mr. Allore’s call from the previous week. He states that he is unsure about providing the autopsy report for his daughter. He will check with the Coroner to see if this is permitted.

A week later a copy of the autopsy report arrives. The report is in French. Mr. Allore speaks English. He then pays $100.00 to have it translated.

On September 28th, 1979 Campus Director Bill Matson is pleased to report to the board of Directors that the six building residence complex accommodating 315 students was opened officially on Tuesday, August 28th. The facility is at 100% occupancy and is in the enviable position of having a waiting list for students desiring to come there.

On November 4th, 1979, exactly one year and a day from the date of their daughter’s disappearance, Mr. and Mrs. Allore are brought to the site where their daughter, Theresa’s body was found. Corporal Gaudreault is with them, along with Leo Hamel, the Chief of Police for Lennoxville who handled the missing persons investigation. Later, Mr. Allore, Gaudreault, Hamel, and the private investigator, Robert Buellac, get together to discuss the case, and where to go from here.

Mr. Allore states that the theory of a hardened criminal picking up his daughter while hitchhiking, and murdering her is all wrong. He also states that the theory of a teacher’s involvement is possible, but unlikely. Gaudreault asks Mr. Allore what, in his opinion, is the most plausible explanation for Theresa’s death. Mr. Allore states that possibly Theresa overdosed on drugs, since that that is what the police have surmised. That she was either given too much of something, or took something that made her have an allergic reaction. Mr. Allore states that a “pusher” was most likely involved – a student, on the Compton campus, who had access to a vehicle. He imagines that there was probably a party in Gilliard house, there were drugs, and that Theresa died at this party. Some students panicked. They quietly wrapped the body in her bed comforter, snuck the body out of the residence, drove it to the bridge, and dumped Theresa Allore into the water. Corporal Goudreault and Chief Hamel wait for Mr. Allore to finish his story. They then both agree that this is what they think happened too.

Mr. Allore mentions that there are problems with this theory. The scarf, missing clothes, and wallet do not tie in. However, these were probably diversionary tactics, designed to confuse investigators. Robert Buellac concurs that Mr. Allore’s theory is probably correct. There was probably one male, one female and one car involved.

As the meeting wraps up the question arises of how to proceed. Corporal Gauldreault advises Mr. Allore to close the door on the matter and get on with his life. Students will not be able to keep such a thing a secret. He urges Mr. Allore to be patient and wait. It is only a matter of time before someone will talk.

The meeting comes to a close. The men part company. Mr. Allore will never hear from any of the investigators again.


On November 9th, 1979, Mr. Allore receives a telephone call from a reporter for the Sherbrooke Record newspaper. The reporter wants to know if the Allores intend to sue Champlain College over the matter of the death of their daughter, Theresa Allore. The reporter mentions that Bill Matson has been overheard in circles saying, “the Allores are heading towards a law suit.” When confronted on the matter, Matson coolly stated that the School had no concerns. Theresa Allore was over the age of nineteen, and was therefore responsible for the choices she made in life. The reporter wants to know Mr. Allore’s opinion. Mr. Allore has no comment.


January 6th, 1983

“I, the undersigned, Coroner of the above mentioned judiciary County, declare herein under my official oath, that according to information obtained and/or testimony heard, it appears that the death of the above mentioned person occurred under the following circumstances. The victim was declared missing on November 3, 1978. She was a student at Champlain College in Lennoxville and was boarding at Gillard House, King’s Hall in Compton. She was a Social Science student. Theresa Allore was found in the Spring of 1979 in the Coaticook river, more precisely on the 13th of April 1979. The place were the young Allore girl was found is at approximately one kilometer from the village of Compton and about one and a half miles from Gillard House, King’s Hall, where the victim was boarding. This spot is on Chemin de la Station, at the first bridge out of Compton Village in the direction of Waterville. This spot is a branch of the river which seems to come from nowhere. Each Spring, when the Coaticook river overflows, the water reaches this spot and the level then rises by 8 feet. This is the only time of the year where the Coaticook River reaches this spot. An autopsy was performed on the body of the victim at the “Institute de medicine legale” in Montreal, and the pathologist’s conclusions cannot inform us of the cause of death, taking into consideration that the body had remained too long in the water. The investigators interrogated parents, friends of the victim, and anyone who might have been in contact with the latter, in brief, more than 200 witnesses in this affair. Certain clues have been discovered and checked. Many hypothesis have also been expressed and equally verified. To this day, the investigators, in spite of their efforts, have no significant findings which might lend information on the circumstances of Theresa Allore’s death. Consequently, elapsed time notwithstanding, I render herein a provisory verdict of violent death of undetermined nature. Should any additional information be submitted and a new inquiry report brought in, this file will be reopened for adjudication and final decision if relevant proofs are brought forward.”

and the medical cause of death is:

“unknown (found in the Coaticook River after 5 months of disappearance.”

Consequently, my verdict is the following: “ VIOLENT DEATH OF UNDETERMINED NATURE”

If Violent death: “Death is imputable to no crime whatsoever neither to anyone’s negligence.”

Signed: Michel Durand
Bureau de Coroner


Leave a Reply