SIDHARTHA BANERJEEThe GazetteWednesday, September 18, 2002
Murder case stays on hold’Not enough new evidence’ to relaunch probe into 1978 case, Sûreté says
John Allore hasn’t given up hope that his sister Theresa’s killer will be found, but the Sûreté du Québec said yesterday they will not reinvestigate the 23-year-old murder case. After a three-week analysis of Theresa Allore’s case file by investigators from the Sûreté’s Montreal-based crimes-against-persons unit, it was decided there wasn’t enough new evidence to rethe case.
“A complete analysis was made after the allegations made by the brother of the victim in the National Post,” said Constable Jimmy Potvin of the Sûreté’s Eastern Townships detachment. “But there isn’t enough new evidence to restart the investigation. The file is stilland active but there isn’t any new development or evidence to further our investigation.”
The SQ had said they would rethe Allore case and two other unsolved violent deaths in the Townships between 1977 and ’79 that John Allore believes may have been linked to his sister’s death. The other victims were Louise Camirand, 20, of Sherbrooke, who was raped and strangled in 1977, and Manon Dube, 10, whose body was found in Ayer’s Cliff soon after she was reported missing in Sherbrooke in 1978. Potvin said he didn’t know whether there were any new details on the other cases. “The only case I know about is the case of Theresa Allore.” John Allore expressed frustration with the SQ, saying they didn’t keep their promise of three weeks ago.
‘Last six months'”The new evidence isn’t anything in the old case file; it’s what we’ve discovered in the last six months,” Allore said in a telephone interview from Durham, N.C., yesterday. “What they said they were going to do was review all three cases, but they looked at Theresa’s file and not the other two.” Theresa Allore was reported missing on Nov. 3, 1978, while a student at Champlain College in Lennoxville. Her body was found in the Coaticook River on April 13, 1979, about one kilometre from Compton, the village where she had been living. The coroner who filed the report on Theresa Allore’s death in 1979 said water had damaged the body, making it difficult to establish the exact cause of death, but the same report suggested the 19-year-old had been strangled.
“I’m forced to carry on my own personal investigation, which is preposterous,” Allore said. “But what am I supposed to do – just drop it?”
Allore had been persistent in his pursuit of Theresa’s murderer, repeatedly calling on the SQ to rethe case.His efforts were the subject of a series of stories in the National Post.
“In the last month we’ve made significant progress and we’ll stay on it, and if the Sûreté du Québec doesn’t want to help us, that’s fine,” Allore said, “We’ve got private investigators and law enforcement in the U.S. who are willing to … and that’s a hell of a thing to say for victims in Quebec, that I have to go to American law enforcement to help me solve this crime.”
– Anyone with information on any of these three homicides can contact the Sûreté du Québec at (819) 572-6039.- John Allore’s Web site is at www.whokilledtheresa.com
Response from Champlain CollegeAugust 26, 2002
Dear Editor, Subject Mr. John Allore’s Letter The management of Champlain Regional College was stunned by the allegations made by John Allore in a letter published in your paper on August 21.The College sympathizes deeply with Mr. Allore and his family for the loss of their sister and daughter, Theresa, in 1978. We cannot, however, remain silent about remarks Mr. Allore makes about the College, which are patently defamatory and go well beyond any inquiry into the circumstances surrounding Theresa Allore’s disappearance. In essence, it is tantamount to putting our institution on trial.We have no desire to get involved in a point-by-point discussion of Mr. Allore’s argument. We do feel that it is important to point out that the College management stated on numerous recent occasions that it had cooperated with the police at the time of the event and that it intends to do so again when and if the investigation is red.A teaching institution such as Champlain Regional College has an abiding respect for freedom of expression. Statements such as those made by Mr. Allore in his letter published August 21, intended more to harm the College’s reputation than to make headway in the case, are something altogether different.Champlain Regional College will not tolerate this gratuitous, unfounded and untruthful attack on a sterling reputation that has been carefully developed during the past 30 years and is acknowledged by the Eastern Townships community, the rest of Quebec and well beyond its borders. That is why we are today bringing this letter to your readers’ attention.Yours trulyBertrand DaigneaultDirector / Champlain-Lennoxville
Sherbrooke RecordLetter to the EditorAugust 21st, 2002
In reference to the article in the Sherbrooke Record about the death of my sister Theresa Allore while a student at Champlain college in 1978, on behalf of my entire family, I would like to say that we find the current actions of the School, and the comments of its Director, Bertrand Daignault, insensitive, insulting and offensive.Mr. Daigneault states that the school provided a shuttle bus service to/from Compton and if students hitchhiked, it was a personal decision. To be precise, Champlain offered a mere 10 shuttle buses per day, and if you missed one of these buses you were out of luck. Allow me to pose a question to you Mr. Daigneault: Theresa missed the 6:00 PM shuttle bus from Lennoxville to Compton on Friday, November 3, 1978, the day she died. The next bus wasn’t scheduled until 11:00 PM. How was she supposed to get back to her home? The only options the school left her were to wait around for five hours, idling until close to midnight, or to hitchhike. Nevertheless, twenty-three years later the School is still making the same implication: Theresa made a “personal decision” and got what was coming to her.Shuttle buses and hitchhiking are secondary to the main issue. The fact is Theresa was last seen at a Champlain facility, and her body was found less then a mile from that facility. Champlain’s “mission” may be to offer courses, but as a boarding facility it has a custodial responsibility to protect the young students that make up its membership. Was it prudent not to warn anyone that there where sexual assaults taking place at your School two weeks prior to Theresa’s death? Was it prudent not to take seriously the two editorials in student newspapers in February and November of 1978 concerning violence against women on campus? Former administrator, Tom Cavanagh, states that “violence wasn’t on the radar screen”? It was screaming for close to a year, “red alert! red alert!”In the Record’s article a former teacher states that, at the time of Theresa’s disappearance, he tried to persuade School administration to search for her, but the School refused. Where have I heard this before? Seven days after my sister went missing some students, including my brother, went to Dr. Matson, then a Director at Champlain, and urged him to organize a search party. Dr. Matson’s response was, “I’m not going to turn this School upside-down for some kid.” Apalling.Clearly Champlain has some questions to answer. Yet, last week Mr. Daigneault issued a “gag-order,” and indicated that the School would talk to no one but the Police, and then would only address aspects specific to an “official” investigation into Theresa’s death. Well, there should be an investigation, and what should be investigated is Champlain’s conduct at the time of my sister’s death, and their attempts in the aftermath to go to any length to protect the School’s reputation.The more Champlain refuses to answer questions, the more they look like they have something to hide. The longer they remain silent, the longer these questions will drag on, well into the School year, right into registration for next fall’s classes.John AlloreChapel Hill, North Carolina
Montreal Gazette articleAugust 21, 2002
Cold cases’ red by SQThe killings of three females in the Townships are being investigated again after the brother of one of them brought up new allegations.Paul Cherry / Montreal GazetteWednesday, August 21, 2002The Sûreté du Québec have red investigations into the cases of two women and a child whose violent deaths in the Eastern Townships have gone unsolved for decades. Spokesman Cpl. Jean Finet confirmed yesterday that two investigators from the SQ’s Montreal-based crimes-against-persons unit will be assigned to a review of the three cases, involving women who died between 1977 and possibly 1979. The investigators will review the cases with their Sherbrooke-based colleagues. The renewed interest in the cases was sparked by what Finet referred to as “new allegations” pertaining to the cases. “I should say that allegations are different from having new evidence in a case,” Finet said. John Allore, the brother of one of the victims, has been in contact with the SQ in recent months and persistently requested that the unsolved cases be reviewed. Allore’s sister Theresa was reported missing on Nov. 3, 1978, while she was a student at Champlain College in Lennoxville. Her body was found in the Coaticook River on April 13, 1979, one kilometre from Compton, the village where she was boarding.The coroner who filed the report on Theresa Allore’s death in 1979 said water had caused too much damage to her body to determine the exact cause of death. But the same report suggests the 19-year-old woman was strangled. The SQ interviewed 200 witnesses as part of their investigation. John Allore asked the SQ to look into whether his sister’s homicide could be tied to the deaths of Manon Dubé, a 10-year-old girl whose body was discovered in Ayer’s Cliff shortly after she was reported missing in Sherbrooke in 1978, and Louise Camirand, a 20-year-old Sherbrooke woman who was raped and strangled in 1977.Allore’s desire to see his sister’s case solved was renewed in February with the arrest of man suspected of murdering a 16-year-old girl who was abducted in Longueuil. That case had remained unsolved since 1987. The man, charged in February, has yet to be tried for the murder. Finet declined to say whether the man is considered a suspect in the three other homicides. But for the past few months John Allore has been persistent in pursuing new leads in his sister’s case. His efforts were the subject of a series of articles recently published in the National Post newspaper “I think it’s positive and I’m hopeful, however just investigating it is not everything. I hope that they will be thorough in their revision of the files,” Allore said yesterday when told of the new development. Finet said the investigators involved have a lot of work ahead of them but that new technology and crime databases that were not available to investigators during the 1970s might make a difference this time around. He estimated the work will take between about four weeks.© Copyright 2002 Montreal Gazette
LettersNational PostThursday, August 15, 2002
I would like to clarify the final message in the three-part article about my sister, Theresa Allore (Evidence Points to a Serial Killer, Aug. 13). Patricia Pearson has stated that our information will be turned over to law enforcement authorities in Quebec. This action should be taken. Investigators need to take the files of Camirand, Dubé and Allore, put them side by side, and go over them thoroughly.Nevertheless, if information is to be disclosed to Quebec law enforcement, it will be forwarded by Ms. Pearson, not by me. The Sûreté du Québec did not, has not, and, I anticipate, will never do anything significant to help my family in this matter. In fact, they continue to deny me access to the full contents of their police file on Theresa. They act as custodians of this information. They have treated myself and my family like children. I believe I have a personal right to know absolutely everything about the events surrounding Theresa’s disappearance and death. When the Sûreté is ready to grant me 100% access to that information, I will be more than happy to share with them the contents of my investigation.Today I have learned that the Sûreté is looking into the possibility of putting an officer on this case to look into the matter of Camirand/Dubé/Allore. If they are doing this in response to public pressure, I say, “why bother.” You’re too late. Instead, take that officer and dedicate him to the Julie Boisvenu investigation.What is past is prologue. My sister died over 20 years ago, and her murder will most likely never be solved. But there is much to be learned from this affair. A young woman, Julie Bureau, went missing in Coaticook in September of 2001. She has yet to be found. As was the case with my sister, in the initial months of Bureau’s disappearance, one of the biggest obstacles her family faced was convincing the authorities that she was not a runaway.The French community in Sherbrooke remains unaware of the story of Theresa Allore, just as no English resident has knowledge of Manon Dubé, a francophone. This despite the fact that Dubé made front page news in the French press last year when her case was red by the Sherbrooke municipal police.Theresa’s story is not some ’70s cultural artifact. It resonates today. I hope individuals in positions of authority in Canada will hear it.John Allore, Chapel Hill, N.C.
Hi. Welcome to “WhoKilledTheresa.com”. This site tells the story of the death of my sister, Theresa Allore, whodisappeared from Compton, Quebec in 1978. It is also a tool to help me answer the question, Who Killed Theresa? If you have information that may help me in answering this question please leave a message.
When my 19-year-old sister went missing from Champlain College and then turned up dead on a country road, Quebec police led my family to believe she had died of a drug overdose. In the spring of 2002, myself and National Post reporter Patricia Pearson began an investigation into Theresa’s disappearance. This site includes the entire article by Patricia Pearson. Our story probes the death of my sister, which may have been a murder by a serial killer who is still at large.
If you are unfamiliar with Theresa’s story, you will be able to read the entire National Post article which was featured in three installments beginning on August 10th, 2002. For those of you who have read the story, this site features updates to the case as they are revealed. There is also an email link where you can contact me with your tips, stories, reminiscences of Theresa or general comments and suggestions. Thank you for visiting this site.