Theresa Allore – November 3, 1978: We found a shoe:

What I am about to do is because – after 37 years – I no longer hold the perpetrator accountable, I hold the Quebec police accountable:

We didn’t just find a purse at that Camirand dump site, we found a shoe:


I will recap the peculiar things about shoes in these cases, and then I’ll give you the details of what happened to Theresa.


  • Louise Camirand: March 1977: missing boots, strangled with her bootlace.
  • Helene Monast: Shoes by the body, possibly missing laces.
  • Katherine Hawkes: Shoes missing. Found 2 days later on a different street.
  • Denise Bazinet: One shoe on, the other not inventoried (missing?).
  • Theresa Allore: Chinese slippers never recovered.






Theresa Allore disappearance

Theresa Allore was a young, nineteen-year-old college student in just her eighth week at Champlain Regional College. On the morning of Friday, November 3, 1978, she was preparing for the last day of the school week. On that day she was wearing a white t-shirt, blue corduroy pants that she has borrowed from a friend, a beige knee-length sweater, Chinese slippers without socks, and a long, dark green scarf. She left her room in the Gillard House dormitory that morning and crosses the parking lot to the main residence building, King’s Hall to have breakfast. Theresa ate breakfast with her friends Jo-Anne Laurie and Caroline Greenwood.

King’s Hall was a residence used to house some of the students of Champlain Regional College. It is located in the village of Compton, about 10 miles from Champlain College’s main academic campus in the town of Lennoxville, Québec. At the beginning of the 1978-79 school year, King’s Hall housed two hundred and forty Champlain students. Approximately one hundred students lived in the main building, the ‘King’s Hall’ building, while the remaining one hundred and forty students were housed in an adjacent, prefab annex building, Gillard House.

At 8:00 am Theresa and her friends took a shuttle bus to the main campus in Lennoxville. The buses ran every hour, between the hours of eight in the morning and six in the evening. Occasionally, if there was a special event on campus, a late bus would run to bring students back to the residence. It was a twenty-minute ride across the Eastern Townships countryside.

Photo of BishopsTheresa arrived at approximately 8:20 am, with just 10 minutes to deposit some belongings in her locker located in the Nichols Building on campus before attending her first class. Theresa had two classes that morning, Physics and Chemistry. Theresa had lunch in the Dewhurst dining hall where she talked briefly with her brother who was also attending Champlain college. They talk briefly about a pair of blue corduroy pants she is wearing, which she borrowed from a friend.

Theresa also speaks with Caroline Greenwood. Earlier in the week, Greenwood had invited Theresa to spend the weekend at her parents’ place in Hemmingford, a small community south of Montréal. Theresa informed Greenwood that she had too much homework and would not be able to get away for the weekend. According to Greenwood, she never saw Theresa again after lunch.

Photo of Bishops2Theresa is not seen that afternoon. Presumably she spent the remainder of the day attending classes, although no one witnesses this. That evening, two students, Suzanne DeRome and Josie Stepenhorst are having dinner in the Dewhurst dining hall. DeRome and Stepenhorst are roommates in Gillard House, Compton. They share a room that is three doors down from Theresa’s. At approximately 6:00 pm, Theresa comes over to their table. She asks if they are going home for the weekend. DeRome and Stepenhorst reply that they are not. The girls decide to get together that evening to listen to records. Theresa agrees to stop by their room around 9:00 pm. Theresa leaves. She gives no indication where she may be going, or what she may be doing between 6:00 and 9:00 pm.

Town1At 6:15 pm, Josie Stepenhorst is on board the bus that will take her back to her residence in Compton. By now it has grown dark. The bus doors close and the vehicle pulls out from the curb. Stepenhorst glances out the window and sees Theresa leaving Dewhurst dining hall. She is walking toward the bus. She has apparently missed the last regularly scheduled bus for that evening. It will be a five-hour wait until a special bus is sent out to retrieve students from the campus pub. Apart from this late-night bus, there is no way for students to get back to their residence. Some students wait, others make the decision to hitchhike.

Town2After 6:15 pm, November 3, 1978, it is difficult to determine what happened next. Theresa may have returned to her locker, retrieved some books and proceeded to the library to work on her homework. This was often her habit. She may have left Dewhurst dining hall and made the half-mile walk up the street to the Lion Pub. Possibly she had some drinks, waiting for the late bus. Or maybe she met someone in the pub. Or perhaps she got tired of waiting, and decided to hitchhike.

Friday evening, November 3 was a quiet night at the King’s Hall residence. Many students went home to their parents’ for the weekend. There were usually parties on Fridays, but there was a big college football game in the morning, and most of the student athletes went to bed early. A Student, Greg Deacon, who is in the same chemistry class as Theresa, drops by her room to see if she has completed her homework. He knocks on her door, but there is no answer. At 9:00 pm, Suzanne DeRome and Josie Stepenhorst are back in their room listening to records. Theresa never shows up to listen to records.

Shortly after 9:00 pm, student Sharon Buzzee is walking through the entranceway of King’s Hall. Buzzee glances over at the main staircase and is surprised to see Theresa standing there as if she’d come in from outside. Buzzee stops to talk with her. She asks why Theresa did not leave to spend the weekend with Caroline Greenwood as she had planned. Theresa replies that she decided not to go as she had too much homework to do. Buzzee asks Theresa what her plans are for that night. She replies that she intends to do her homework. As Buzzee leaves, Theresa appears to be heading up the stairs of King’s Hall toward the second or third floor.

Sharon Buzzee is the only person to report having seen Theresa on the King’s Hall staircase. Around nine-thirty, another student, Tamara Westall says she saw Theresa in the King’s Hall dining room. She is there, according to Westall, grabbing a late night snack prepared for students. No one else witnesses this encounter. This is the last time anyone claimed to have seen Theresa Allore alive.

Aftermath of the disappearance

It took Champlain college close to a week before they noticed that Theresa Allore had disappeared. On Friday, November 10, Theresa’s brother called home to inform his parents that Theresa was missing.The police were reluctant to expend much effort looking for what they thought was a teenage runaway. Lennoxville Police Chief Leo Hamel did show a picture of Theresa to U.S. immigration officers in Vermont. He also checked with her old roommates in Montréal and took statements from students in Compton. But he did not search the college grounds. Corporal Roch Gaudreault of the Sûreté told Mr. Allore that there was little they could do, and that Theresa’s body would probably turn up when the snow melted.

The Allores hired a private investigator, Robert Beullac of the Bureau D’Investigation Metropol. Beullac arrived at Champlain in late November 1978 and immediately searched for physical evidence at Gillard and King’s Hall. He noted that Theresa’s purse was still in her room, as were her hiking boots, which she usually took with her when she left the village overnight. Buellac was the one who discovered the fact that Sharon Buzzee had seen Theresa at King’s Hall the night of November 3, thus unraveling the runaway theory. Police and the school suggested Buzzee’s statement wasn’t credible, and continued to speculated in the local press that Theresa may have headed to Vermont. In December, one month after she disappeared, Police Chief Leo Hamel began to speculate in the newspapers that she had been involved in drugs.

By January 1979 officials at Champlain college appeared to be having a hard time coping with the disappearance. Stewart Peacock, the director of residence where Theresa lived, quietly resigned, citing personal reasons. Peacock promptly disappeared. He has never been interviewed by police in this matter. At the same time, the King’s Hall residence was shut down and all the students were moved over to the Gilliard House dorm.

Discovery of the body

Photo_of_Theresa_body_in_waterTheresa Allore’s body was found at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, April 13, 1979 by a muskrat trapper named Robert Ride. Ride parked his pickup truck along a steep embankment just outside the village of Compton. He was setting wire traps in the mud along the edge of a pond when he saw something tangled in the underbrush that he later described as looking like a mannequin. As he got closer, he realized it was the body of a woman, face down in the water at the pond’s edge. The skin was gray, the hair matted. She was naked except for a bra and underpants.

Photo_of_bog_2Surete du Quebec investigators Roch Gaudreault and Jacques Lessard arrived at the scene just after 11:00 a.m. The coroner, Michel Durand, and a mobile crime unit were there soon after. By noon the area was crowded with investigators and news photographers. Detectives broke into teams and began to search the area. In a green garbage bag, by the ditch at the entrance to a farmhouse, they discovered some women’s clothing, including a pink sweater. In the cornfield they found two pieces of the green scarf.

Photo_of_bog_3Corporal Gaudreault examined the body. The corpse was lying face down in 8 to 10 inches of water. There was a watch on the left wrist, a ring on the left forefinger, and earrings on both ears. Gaudreault observed what appeared to be strangulation marks around the neck. This observation is documented in the coroner’s report, but was later omitted from the police case file.

Detectives1On Saturday, April 14, 1979, Theresa’s body was taken to the chief coroner’s office, the Laboratoire de médicine légale in Montreal. Theresa’s former roommate from Pointe-Claire, Joey Nice, was brought to the lab to see if she could make a positive identification of the body. She was unable to determine whether or not the body was Theresa. Later, Corporal Gaudreault showed Nice the green garbage bag of clothing that was found at the crime scene. Nice stated that the women’s clothing did not belong to Theresa. Later that morning Theresa’s father would identify the body.

Detectives3Corporal Gaudreault, Coroner Durand, and Mr. Allore met to discuss the case. Gaudreault assured the family that, despite the decomposition, the autopsy would determine what happened to Theresa. But Gaudreault was already favoring a theory of possible suicide, perhaps a drowning or possible drug overdose. Durand mentioned the bruise marks found under Theresa’s armpits. What had caused those? While Gaudreault gave no explanation, he doubted that Theresa was the victim of a sexual predator. Neither Gaudreault nor Durand mentioned to Mr. Allore the strangulation marks observed on the neck of Theresa Allore. The first that Mr. Allore heard of those marks was when a reporter for the Montreal Gazette found the document in a public records search in 2002.

The missing clothing

At approximately 6 a.m., Sunday, November 5, 1978, two hunters, Steve Mandigo and Samuel Burnham found women’s clothing resting neatly on a tree log in a forest near Austin, Quebec. They later describe the clothing to police as being a woman’s shirt and a pair of blue pants. Lennoxville Police Chief Leo Hamel claimed to have visited the site, but stated that he was unable to find the clothing. It was later revealed that Hamel attempted to enter the wooded area from the wrong direction and wound up getting lost. The place where the clothing was discovered is within a ½ mile of where the body of Louise Camirand was found on March 25, 1977.

The wallet

wallet3Theresa’s wallet was found one week after her body was found, on April 20, 1979. A farmer was riding his tractor down McDonald road just West of Lennoxville, and noticed the red wallet at the side of the road. McDonald is a service road that runs between Lennoxville and Sherbrooke, Quebec.

Physical evidence

In 2001, the Surete du Quebec confirmed that all physical evidence from the case was destroyed, including Theresa’s scarf and undergarments. The Surete du Quebec would later also confirm that the physical evidence in the Manon Dube case had also been destroyed. And after that it was learned that the Longueuil police destroyed the evidence in the yet unsolved cases of Sharron Prior and Roxanne Luce.



To understand my updates you need to read everything posted above:

Chinese Slippers

Theresa was found in her bra and underwear with all her jewelry. A scarf is found in two pieces in a field. Her wallet is also recovered, and hunters find clothing in the woods near the Camirand dump site that that the description of the clothing worn by Theresa the day she disappeared.

What is missing is the Chinese slippers.  Well here are shoe remains that could match that description:


From what I know of Chinese slippers, the sole is made to last (like leather), but the top covering is cloth-like, and would deteriorate faster. Was this shoe recovered at the Camirand dump site Theresa Allore’s missing Chinese slippers? The same site where Lison Blais purse might have been found?

Stewart Peacock

Let’s look at this again. Stewart Peacock was hired in the summer of 1978 to be the director of residence at King’s Hall for Champlain college, where Theresa lived. Within months, after Theresa’s disappearance,  he quietly resigned. He is never heard from again. Peacock completely disappeared. He has never been interviewed by police in this matter. After his resignation, Champlain college – for no explicable reason, during a housing shortage – shut down the King’s Hall residence where he was living and crammed all 240 students into the Gilliard House dorm.

In the 13 years that I have been doing this, no one has had a single comment or opinion on Stewart Peacock.

Well here is a “Stuart” Peacock:

“Stuart” Peacock is a lifetime paedophile whose history of sex crimes date back to the 1960s. He is currently serving 14 years in Manchester, UK. We have an inquiry into the Manchester police, we will update when we hear from them

Don’t worry, SQ, we’ve got THIS one covered.

Public Policy

On October 24th, 2007 I had a private meeting in Quebec City with then head of Quebec Public Security, Robert Lafreniere (now the head of UPAC) requesting a public enquiry into the actions of the Surete du Quebec. I was denied the request. 9 years later let us see how they deny not just me, but all of us.

I am going to end with this. The Surete du Quebec’s Roch Gaudreault was the lead detective on all of the 3 Townships cases. To this day he continues to believe that Theresa Allore died of a drug overdose, despite the fact that there is no evidence to support such a theory: toxicological, circumstantial, testimonial. 

The Sherbrooke Surete du Quebec’s original theories were:

Louise Camirand: Suicide

Manon Dube: Hit-and-run

Theresa Allore: Drug overdose

This is victim blaming.

It absolves police from the responsibility of investigating these deaths. It is what we call in public policy “Government Shirking”, a systemic failure in which the community is held unaccountable for crimes that clearly point to community failure.

UPDATE 6/12/2016: The Surete du Quebec contacted me on Friday, June 10th. The Surete du Quebec communicated with the Manchester, UK police and determined that the Stuart Peacock currently in jail in the UK for a history of pedophilia  IS NOT the same Stewart Peacock who was Director of Residence at Champlain College, King’s Hall, Compton.

The following are official reports and articles on Theresa Allore. Take it and learn from it. Build on it. These are now your public records:

Allore artile french may 6 1979 Allore cartes scene du crime-2 Allore cartes scene du crime-1 Allore cartes scene du crime autopsy French 10 autopsy French 9 autopsy French 8 autopsy French 7 autopsy French 6 autopsy French 4 autopsy French 5 autopsy French 3 autopsy French 2 autopsy French 1 autopsy english 5 autopsy english 4 autopsy english 3 autopsy english 2 autopsy english 1 coroner's final determination english 2 coroner's final determination english 1 coroner's final determination french 2 coroner's final determination french 1 coroner's report when body discovered Journal_de_montreal_Nov_22_1978 DerniereHeure_Nov19_1978 Notice AlloPolice_Nov1-2002_1-bottom AlloPolice_Nov1-2002_2-top AlloPolice_Nov1-2002_2-bottom AlloPolice_Nov1-2002_1-top







One thought on “Theresa Allore – November 3, 1978: We found a shoe:”

  1. I applaud you for putting the truth out there and wish you all the best. Your sister and all these other women deserve justice!

Leave a Reply