Jim Clench – You Should Feel Like Celebrating

Received the following message from my brother a half-hour ago:

“I just heard that Jim Clench died this morning. He had cancer. Can’t believe it.”

On today of all days. I hate how life laughs at me.

I know what you’re thinking: “Yes, Jim Clench, original bassist for April Wine… sure growing up in Montreal he held some meaning to you, but no sense in going all to pieces over it.”

It’s a little more personal than that.

Some of you may recall about a year ago I started getting heavy into music again. I became the drummer in two local bands. I only did that because at the time I was preparing to join my brother and Jim Clench in an April Wine spin-off band.

Weird huh? It’s true. It goes like this…

In the Spring of 2009 Clench heard my brother playing in some local Montreal clubs and liked him. Jim was trying to get an act together, so he invited Andre to jam with him. They clicked. The plan was to play across Canada that summer, mainly in the Ontario / Quebec region. They needed a drummer. I had just finished the budget process at work and was looking forward to a long summer of using up my vacation and accrued leave time doing nothing. Andre asked me to come jam with Jim, if it worked out, maybe I could work part-time for the summer and commute back and forth between Canada and North Carolina. It sounds absurd, but I pitched the idea at work and they actually gave me permission; I was all set to pursue the rock n roll dream with my brother and one of my first music idols, Jim Clench.

I drove up to Montreal in June of 2009. I met Jim, who was over-weight and smoked too much, but seemed to be in the frame of mind to pull his act together. He had a real caustic wit, especially when it came to his former band mates. We jammed together over 2 days in the basement of a friend’s house in the West Island. I cannot tell you what a thrill it was to be playing with this guy and my brother on songs like Oowatanite, Weepy Widow, Could Have Been a Lady, etc…

I bought a fire bell on Ebay and a new 6″ cowbell.

Jim could still belt this songs out. He hit all those high notes in Weepy Widow perfectly. We were using a vintage PA and mixing board that April Wine used in the 70s. Orgasmic.

Including the above, the set list was  like this:

Better Slow Down

Bad Side of the Moon

Drop Your Guns

Sign of the Gypsy Queen

21st Century Schizoid Man

I had worked on Schizoid the most and was glad we never rehearsed it; it gave me some problems. We also included a BTO song Jim wrote when he was with the group, Jamaica, and 125 and Mona by The Haunted, a band Jim liked from the 60s in Montreal that never got its due. Jim took pleasure in including Gypsy Queen; there was a part of him that really wanted to stick it to Myles Goodwyn, I guess that’s natural given the circumstances, but I have no doubt that he loved Myles too. We were trying to work on Jim to include Just Like That; we thought he’d think it was corny, but it was always one of our favorites from Electric Jewels.

The whole thing was surreal. He we were BACK on the West Island, the place Andre and I grew up. When we were there we were punks. Now we were jamming with our rock idol. It was also a chance for Andre and I to get a little payback from all the time we had spent on Theresa’s case: we had given almost 10 years reviving that mystery; it was time for some shared pleasure, a chance to return to one of the things that we truly loved… maybe have a little fun. And Theresa was entrenched in the rock scene in Montreal in the 70s; she would have approved.

After I returned to the States the whole thing seemed to fall apart rapidly. Jim wouldn’t commit to rehearsals. I was trying to make arrangements to come up on extended weekends, but Jim never seemed motivated beyond how far his next cigarette would take him (now I know why). Eventually I think my brother gave him an ultimatum and the thing just sort of died.

I’m sitting here, on the 32nd anniversary of my sister’s murder, but I’m not gonna dwell on that. And I’m not going to feel sorry for Jim Clench. I’m listening to Electric Jewels and remembering what a great influence he was. Great memories. Everything will be alright.

I know damn well we’re goin’ to hell,  can’t pay the price in heaven

11/3/10 This entry was posted on Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010 at 10:45 pm and is filed under North Carolina, quebec, Trauma. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Related Posts

10 Responses to ' Jim Clench – You Should Feel Like Celebrating '

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to ' Jim Clench – You Should Feel Like Celebrating '.

1. 1
    'Anon' said,

on November 4th, 2010 at 10:11 am

That must’ve been some jam session. Thanks for this post, John.

‘Anon’

2. 2
    jallore said,

on November 4th, 2010 at 10:22 am

It was Anon. I practiced for a solid month, every day for 2-3 hours prior. As I said, I even got in to two bands, because I was rusty and wanted to feel real comfortable around musicians again.

When I met him part of me was just playing the part of, “ya, I’m just another musician, been around, seen a lot, etc..” but really I was just freaking out! I wanted so much to just scream out, “Jeezus Cripes, you’re fecking Jim Clench!” but I knew that would blow the whole thing.

And Jim was funny, between songs he would talk about what a pain in the ass Jerry Mercer was, always having to have his drum solo. You know, that very funny West Island wit that could cut thru you.

He was also a really sweet man. You could tell he was very sensitive.

3. 3
    Brian Greenway said,

on November 4th, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Sorry it didn’t work out Jallore. I was hoping Jim would get something good together. Sounds like it could have been it.

Best to you
    Brian

4. 4
    John Allore said,

on November 4th, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Jeezus Cripes, you”re fecking Brian Greenway! lol

Hello Brian, Kind of you to say that. I have a pretty good memory of you at the Lord Beaverbrook arena in St John standing on some stacks for the solo for Hot on the Wheels of Love. After that show my brother and I tried to get back stage… picture it: some 18-year-old turd with his turd younger brother, both dressed in jean jackets and construction boots looking to meet the band. And we were surprised the roadie chose the teenage girls?

Cheers,

5. 5
    Andre Allore said,

on November 5th, 2010 at 6:47 pm

We actually talked to Miles. Don’t you remember the conversation? I can quote it word for word…….

6. 6
    jallore said,

on November 5th, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Are you being funny? I don’t get it.

7. 7
    jallore said,

on November 5th, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Ok, I’m a little slow… I get it now. Yes, that’s exactly what Myles said.

8. 8
    Andre Allore said,

on November 5th, 2010 at 8:53 pm

No, no, no. We were on the back stairwell of the mighty Lord F’ng Beaverbrook Arena, yacking with Miles. He was smokin’ a butski after the show and we asked him how he liked playing in Saint Stickin John and he said…… “ya know, Saint John really stinks……” of which ….I think he was referring to the Irving Pulp’n Paper stench, but maybe he was referring to the crowd. At the time all I could think of was that bit during the show where Myles got up behind the drum riser and was blowing this lead solo (which sounded like an Ace Frehley solo) and at the end of it there was like …. silence…. you could of heard a pin drop….. I guess that’s what he meant about Saint John really stinking…… I just calls’m as I sees him…. like it or not………

9. 9
    jallore said,

on November 5th, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Are you serious? I have no memory of that AT ALL. I am now vaguely recalling the solo response. He-he… ya, I’m getting that now.

10. 10
    Andre Allore said,

on November 5th, 2010 at 9:18 pm

In any case…. enough about Myles…………. This is about Jimmy. I really enjoyed playing with Jim in the summer of 2009. We were at it for 3-4 months in John Roveto’s basement, where Jim had most of his gear. We were up to 12-15 songs. I was singing all none-Myles penned tunes; Bad Side, Lady, Gypsy Queen, etc…Jim was doing his thing. He had this chick singer from Ontario who he was going to bring in sooner or later. We were suppose to eventually go off to some farm in Ontario to rehearse and then start playing gigs. For the record I never gave Jim any ultimatum. After John Maxwell left, Jim brought in another guitarist, Kelly Wately, who replaced me with one of his buddies. Then they replace Michael from Roxfield Point with drummer Dave Devine……… I heard later that this config imploded as well. Then about 3 weeks ago I ran into John Roveto at Calistoga Grill and he told me Jim was not doing so good. (I was thinking Jim was as strong as an ox and would pull through). Then Nov 3rd it was all over Facebook. Jim was gone….