Police wanted to law more charges against Robert ‘Willie’ Pickton (seen during his 2007 murder trial) but prosecutors have said no.
Crown prosecutors have decided against laying new charges against Robert (Willie) Pickton.
RCMP investigators asked the Crown to charge Canada’s most notorious serial killer with six more murders, including the deaths of two missing Surrey women.
However, RCMP Cpl. Annie Linteau said the police were told by prosecutors that they do not intend to lay additional charges at this time.
“We’ve been verbally advised by the Crown that they will not be proceeding [with new criminal charges against Pickton]” Linteau told The Leader Thursday morning.
The RCMP spokesperson said investigators informed prosecutors they believed there was enough evidence to charge Pickton with the deaths of Yvonne Marie Boen, Jacqueline Murdock, Dawn Crey, Sharon Abraham, Stephanie Lane and Nancy Clark.
Boen and Murdock were Surrey residents who ended up in the slums of Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside before they disappeared.
Boen went missing in March of 2001.
Her DNA was found at the site of the Pickton farm in Port Coquitlam.
Boen was last seen at Surrey’s infamous “house of horrors” crack shack. She was a regular visitor to the since-demolished 600-sq.ft. wood frame building in North Surrey, where police found evidence of murders and brutal tortures.
Jackie Murdock went missing in 1997.
In 2004, the police told Murdock’s sister Daphne that Jackie’s DNA had been found on Robert Pickton’s farm in Coquitlam.
Pickton was already facing trial for the murders of 26 women at the time.
Police asked her to keep the news a secret until Pickton’s first trial ended.
After Pickton was sentenced to life in prison on six charges of second-degree murder, Pierre broke her silence.
Yvonne Marie Boen (L) and Jackie Murdock are among six women police have now named as likely Pickton victims, but Crown prosecutors have decided against laying charges
Linteau said police did not contact the families about the recommendation, because the decision to lay charges lies with the Crown.
Pickton was originally charged with murdering 26 women but the trial judge split the massive case into two sets of charges – an initial six that went to trial first and the remaining 20 that would await a later trial if necessary.
Pickton was found guilty in December of 2007 of second-degree murder in the deaths of Sereena Abotsway, Mona Wilson, Andrea Joesbury, Brenda Wolfe, Georgina Papin and Marnie Frey.
The second group of victims Pickton is charged with killing are Tiffany Drew, Sherry Irving, Diana Melnick, Wendy Crawford, Inga Hall, Tanya Holyk, Angela Jardine, Heather Bottomley, Jennifer Furminger, Patricia Johnson, Debra Jones, Diane Rock, Sarah de Vries, Cara Ellis, Kerry Koski, Jacqueline McDonell, Andrea Borhaven, Cynthia Feliks, Helen Hallmark and Heather Chinnock.
In June, the B.C. Court of Appeal upheld Pickton’s conviction.