Let the facts stand

Last week, I was asked to alter the following post. If you go back you will see I took out the paragraphs in red.

I did so out of hope that being sensitive to some unknown persons wishes, I might somehow aid in having information come forward that would solve Theresa’s case.

I no longer feel that way. If I touched a nerve somewhere referring to the Champlain college’s disassociation with their employee, Stewart Peacock so be it. But I am not going to alter facts on the promise that others may provide useful information.

The facts are plain, and I’ve laid them out before. Champlain college obstructed the proceedings in a criminal investigation. As this offense only recently came to light they are still eligible to be prosecuted to the fullest extend of the law.

When Pierre Hugues Boisvenu – the most influential victims rights advocate in Quebec – returns from vacation, I will ask him to contact his lawyers and discuss why the police up to this point have not pursued this offense (they have been asked to do so repeatedly). It may be that in addition to Champlain college, the Surete du Quebec has now engaged in criminal negligence:

January 1979

The investigation into Theresa Allore’s disappearance was entering its third month at the beginning of January 1979, and hope was beginning to dwindle that she would ever be found alive. As the focus began to shift from a missing person and possible runaway to that of a potential homicide, the case caught the interest of more powerful forces in law enforcement. Technically, the case was still under the authority of Chief Leo Hamel of Lennoxville, but that could change depending on if, and where the girl was found. Even Hamel knew that a homicide was beyond his capabilities. In the early weeks of January 1979 the Quebec Provincial Force began to take notice of the case.

The Provincial police were known by many names. The Quebec Provincial Force (QPF), Bureau des Enquete Criminal (BEC), sometimes the Surete du Quebec. In the Townships they were known as the Coaticook detachment. In 1979 Roch Gaudreault was coming up as a detective in the Coaticook criminal detachment. Gaudreault had earned his reputation more from his swagger than his accomplishments. He looked like a great detective, he dressed like Kojak, so everyone just assumed that he was a great detective. Slowly, Gaudreault began to insinuate himself into Leo Hamel’s investigation. Gaudreault knew that it was only a matter of time before a body turned up. In January of 1979, Gaudreault – never known for his sensitivity – called up Mr. Allore and bluntly informed him that all there was left to do was to sit around and wait for the snow to melt so that the corpse could be discovered. Insensitive, but accurate. Gaudreault was right. The body would turn up. The question was where? If she were found in Montreal, the case would come under the authority of the Montreal Urban Police, if she were found in Sherbrooke then their force would handle it, but if she were found in the Compton region… While everyone else was turning their attentions to Montreal, Gaudreault stayed to the sidelines and waited patiently for the snow to melt.

At the beginning of the second semester of school for the 1978-79 academic year, Champlain College initiates a change that is curious and noteworthy. While all the attention of the investigation is focused in Montreal, Champlain College quietly accepts the resignation of Stewart Peacock, Residence Director of King’s Hall. Peacock has been on staff for barely three months. He decides to take “a leave of absence” and move across the country to Vancouver. The man in charge of the facility where a student went missing quietly slips away and is never heard from again. He never gives a statement. He is never questioned. He is never interviewed. In fact, for the Allores, Chief Hamel, Robert Buellac, and Detective Gaudreault, it is as if he never existed.

After Peacock departs, Champlain completely vacates King’s Hall – the building where he had been living – and moves all the students living in Compton to Gillard house. Gillard house, under the authority of Jean Eddisford, becomes the main facility at Compton, and King’s Hall – for reasons only known to Champlain – is left empty.

Meanwhile, in Montreal the investigation is hitting a dead end. Buellac clocks close to 50 hours making inquires, conducting interviews, and running down leads connected with Theresa Allore’s activities in Montreal prior to attending Champlain College. Buellac does surveillance work. He runs license plate checks on cars belonging to Theresa’s friends. He does criminal record checks on suspicious characters. None of his efforts lead anywhere. Leo Hamel joins the investigation in Montreal. He makes several trips to assist Buellac in his efforts. They check when Theresa last filled her birth control prescription. Perhaps there was a pregnancy? They discover that out west, her boyfriend, Vlad Kulish has suddenly vanished. A friend states that he took a trip down to the States. Perhaps a rendezvous with Theresa, now that the baby’s born? Hamel now reports to the French press that the possibility of a flight to the States is gaining momentum. Some students have come forward and say that Theresa was a manic-depressive. They suggest Theresa was failing in her studies and intended to quit school and leave the country altogether.

Robert Allore was slowing beginning to see that none of this made any sense. In mid January he requests that Theresa’s belongings be returned back home to New Brunswick. Costs were mounting, and Champlain College was continuing to bill him for the room once occupied by his daughter; a room that has remained vacant for the past ten weeks.


Leave a Reply